Historical / Theatrical playing cards manufactured by Joseph Glanz, Vienna, c.1865
Joseph Glanz of Vienna (1849-1912) was a leading Austrian manufacturer of fine playing cards. During its lifetime the firm had acquired Max Uffenheimer and Johann Ritter & Cie but was in turn absorbed by Piatnik in 1912. These finely engraved playing cards are hand-coloured using stencils, displaying the cardmaker’s excellent craftmanship from that period. The tax stamp on the Ace of Hearts (right) was used between c.1859-1877.