Luis Fourvel's standard English style Naipes Side Car, with the distinctive motorcycle Joker were published over several decades.
Standard Playing Card Co. started producing playing cards in c.1890 but was in business for only about four years before United States Playing Card Company acquired it in 1894.
Originally known as Cappellano Hnos in the 1920s, and undergoing several changes of name and address, the company produced catalan style packs with the brand names "Naipes Triunfo" and "Torcacita" as well as an Anglo-American style pack titled "VELCAP".
Thai Playing Cards Manufacturing Factory
Rotxotxo Workshop Inventories, Barcelona, 1660-1800
Article about Manufacture of Playing Cards, 1825: paper, pasting, stencilling, polishing, cutting, etc.
Amos Whitney Factory Inventory. What it was like inside an 18th century playing card factory...
Colour lithography was invented in 1798 by a Bavarian actor and playwright named Alois Senefelder (1771-1834). It is based on the principle that oil and water do not mix.
Printing of Playing Cards :: Stencilling can usually be detected by observing the outlines of the coloured areas which are often irregular with brush strokes discernible in the coloured areas.
The manufacture of the cardboard used for playing cards contains a number of interesting processes including mingling, pasting and drying.
Printing of Playing Cards :: Letterpress printing. Some notes on the manufacture of playing cards taken from Thomas De la Rue's patent, 1831.
Aluette playing cards manufactured by Dieudonné & Cie, Angers (France), early 20th century
Non-Standard playing cards manufactured by Joseph Glanz, Vienna, Austria, 1862.
"Naipes Habana" Spanish-suited playing cards manufactured by Justo Rodero e Hijos S.R.L., with the date 1960 printed on the control slip.
Litográfica del Perú S.A. were manufacturers of playing cards in Peru sometime around the decades of the 1970s and/or 1980s. The advertising packs are known, shown below.
The Western Playing Card Company was formed in 1927. The exact history and origins are not clear.
The Mesmaekers firm had been established in Turnhout in 1859 by the partnership of Gustaaf Mesmaekers and Louis-François Moentack. In 1862 Moentack withdrew from the partnership, leaving Gustaaf Mesmaekers who then turned to his two brothers for their support to continue the business.
Brotherton is recorded as operating at 13 Little Britain (London) from 1789-1840. In 1851 his factory was burnt down.
Finely engraved deck by F. d'Alphonse Arnoult (Paris), c.1860. 52 cards.
The Hardy family of playing card manufacturers began with Henry Hardy (1784-89) and continued through to Hardy & Sons who finally closed down in c.1840.
The National Card Co. was formed in c.1886 by Samuel J Murray, who as a young man had worked in England in Charles Goodall's playing card factory. In 1881 he moved to Cincinnati and became an employee of Russell & Morgan playing card manufacturers. In 1886 he left Russell & Morgan and moved to Indianapolis to establish the National Card Company.
Lawrence & Cohen were successors to Lawrence, Cohen & Co.
Lewis I. Cohen made his first deck of cards in 1832. In 1835 Mr Cohen invented a new machine to print four colours on a sheet at once, which was to revolutionise the entire playing card industry. This innovation soon led to his dominance in the market.
The New York Consolidated Card Company was formed in 1871 by the merging of Lawrence & Cohen, Samuel Hart & Co and John J. Levy.
The Continental Card Company, 220 North Second Street, Philadelphia, started in 1874, manufacturing various qualities of playing cards, including Continental Steamboats, Manhattans, Continental Moguls, etc. Single-ended and double-ended decks are known, also a "Highest Trump" Joker.
Strauss & Trier, New York, c.1860
Samuel Hart was a prolific manufacturer of playing cards who commenced business sometime around 1845 in Philadelphia. He had previously worked for L.I. Cohen.
Thomas Crehore copy, c.1850
E. P. Franco, Naipes 'El Brujo', c.1953
Naipes "OBELISCO" by Mario Colombo, Rodriguez Peña 385, Buenos Aires (Argentina), c.1950.
Playing cards published by E. A. Chemmes, Buenos Aires during the early 1950s. The cards were probably printed by Ernesto Flaiban.
Argentina has produced a series of anonymous decks, both Spanish-suited and Anglo-American type and children's games.
Having started out as Fournier Hermanos, Burgos in 1860, the company remained in the Fournier family undergoing several changes of name and finally becoming Hija de B. Fournier sometime around 1900.
Léonard Biermans had been employed by Brepols from 1871-1874 before opening his own playing card factory in 1875.
The company was founded in 1908 as the printing division of the Brooke Bond Tea Company in Reading.
Denbro (Denny Brothers) c.1975-79
Woodpecker Press is believed to have started up in 1987 as a spin-off from the closure of Astra Games.
Hunt & Sons (1821-1840) was the first maker to modernise the court card designs with a complete re-drawing
Interesting pack manufactured by Hunt, c.1800, on which a previous owner has hand-written some notes regarding the cards.
In 1836 Henry Wheeler was found guilty of using forged duty Aces of Spades.
Thomas Creswick was a paper-maker and wholesale stationer. Playing cards were produced from c.1820 onwards.
Standard English playing cards manufactured by Gibson & Co., c.1770.
Joseph Reynolds had been producing playing cards in the traditional method since c.1809.
The 'Old Frizzle' Ace of Spades shows the duty paid as one shilling, and the manufacturer's name is engraved at the bottom of the ace.
Cadiz style playing cards manufactured by La Primitiva, Victoria 3179, Buenos Aires c.1905. The cards have the black 'Mercury' tax stamp on the four of cups. The reverse has a red trellis pattern.
Tarocco Piedmontese by Fabrica de Naipes La Primitiva, Defensa 125, Buenos Aires c.1890
La Primitiva, Victoria 3179, Buenos Aires c.1878-1920, manufacturers of paper and playing cards
Naipes Casino Estilo Español Spanish suited playing cards manufactured by Justo Rodero
List of Argentinian Playing Card Manufacturers from the 19th and 20th centuries.
Naipes Congreso by C. Della Penna S.A. playing card manufacturer and publisher, Buenos Aires, c.1966