Over the years eight different Aces of Spades were used with this brand and the Joker was also modified several times.
The Joker is particularly persuasive, whilst the Ace of Spades has a battle scene involving artillery, with Navy ships in the distance and the statue of the goddess of Freedom in the middle.
The ‘Beautiful Britain’ series depicting seaside and country resorts was produced by John Waddington Ltd for the Great Western Railway and London and North Eastern Railway between 1924-1939.
The United States Playing Card Co. issued Spanish versions of their flagship brand.
The famous Bicycle playing cards were first introduced by Russell & Morgan Printing Co in 1885
The famous 'Bicycle' playing cards were first introduced by Russell & Morgan Printing Co in 1885. They were hugely successful and became the most well-known brand in the world.
1st edition of famous Bicycle Playing Cards printed by Russell & Morgan Printing Co., Cincinnati, 1885.
Bicycle 808 Seconds playing cards manufactured by The United States Playing Card Co, Cincinnati and New York, USA, with offices also in Windsor, Canada and London, England.
“Boudoir” playing cards were introduced by Chas Goodall & Son in 1906 in a new, slimmer size.
Russell & Morgan's “Cabinet No.707” brand was first introduced in 1888.
“Capitol No.188” was first introduced during the Russell & Morgan Printing Company era in c.1886 and carried through into the U.S.P.C.C's catalogue after 1895.
Piatnik-Ritter No.240 - Obchodní Tiskárny Casino No.240
Cir-Q-Lar Playing Cards. In 1929 John Waddington Ltd commenced the production of circular cards and these were very popular.
“Circus No.47”, first issued in 1896. The staid old Kings, Queens and Jacks have given way to various well-known ring masters, clowns and queens; dashing circus designs. Indeed, the clown Jacks are only a short step away from Jokers!
Congress Playing Cards were first produced by the Russell & Morgan Company in 1881 as the finest and most expensive of their brands.
The Universal Playing Card Co., Crown Point Series
Dougherty's ‘Cruiser No.96’, first published c.1897, was dedicated to the U.S. Navy.
A wide size version of De Luxe No.142 had been published in c.1920, with a similar Ace of Spades and Joker, but which was never very popular.
The “Star” special pack of playing cards manufactured by Thomas De la Rue under their Empire Card Co subsidiary, c.1910.
Excelsior by A. Dougherty, c.1870.
Fair Play budget brand by Piatnik first appeared c.1950 before disappearing in c.1990.
‘Gemaco’ playing cards produced for the Princess Cruises Casino.
Holmblads No. 121 made by John Waddington, England, for Denmark
A subsidiary of Brown & Bigelow was established in 1927 to bring Hoyle products to the retail market.
Dougherty was at the forefront of innovation, adding Best Bowers and then Jokers, rounded corners and various types of indices, or indicators, to his cards.
Goodall’s “Japanesque” brand was used for stationery products since around 1880 but these playing cards were added to the range in around 1900.
Waddington’s introduced a series of unusual shapes in the early 1950s.
'Thames Side' Playing Cards manufactured by The Universal Playing Card Co., Ltd for L. G. Sloan, Ltd., 1930s.
The summer of 1932 saw the introduction of Lexicon, when a small edition was produced and sold to test the market.
“Lighthouse No.922” playing cards were introduced in c.1920.
Naipes Guarany by C. Della Penna S.A. playing card manufacturer and publisher, Buenos Aires, c.1940
Naipes No. 71 Los Leones
The second edition of 1883 has slightly larger indices and a more simplified Ace of Spades showing two sailing ships.
The New Bond Fabric Finish Playing Cards, made by the Universal Playing Card Co. Ltd.
“New Era No.46”, based around European fashions, was soon followed with “Circus No.47”, “Hustling Joe No.61” and “Ye Witches No.62”.
Nu-Vue playing cards by Brown & Bigelow have novel courts and a special tint which are promoted as “the modern eye-saving concept in playing cards”
“Pasha” is one of Charles Goodall’s brands which first appeared in c.1898 and was retained until after the De la Rue takeover.
Pictorial Playing Cards - De Luxe - Fabric Finish - manufactured by Alf Cooke Limited (Universal Playing Card Co.)
Pigmy Miniature Playing Cards
Punto y Banca
Rufford playing cards is one of several brand names used by Boots for their stationery department, and probably the most popular.
Willis W. Russell’s “Regulars” were first issued in c.1906, a brand aimed at the armed forces, in tribute to men of the “regular army”. It was patented with ‘Long Distance Pips’ with shading in the hearts and spades.
Schwarzkopf BC Bonacure playing cards promoting the ultimate hair perfection
Van Genechten first registered an Ace of Spades for English playing cards in 1885 followed by the ‘Sailor’ Joker.
By 1877 the New York Consolidated Card Co's "Squeezers" were a great success on account of the indices in the corners which enabled the cards to be fanned.
Stancraft Playing Cards were manufactured by Brown & Bigelow of whom they were a subsidiary.
Owing to the romantic appeal of gambling on the Mississippi river many manufacturers added “Steamboats” to their range, differentiated by a number, such as 999.
Steamboats #66 playing cards manufactured by the Kalamazoo Paper Box & Card Co., c.1903.
Steamboats No.99 was one of a number of brands produced by the American Playing Card Co. of Kalamazoo.
The earliest Ace of Spades had the Centre Street address and the Jolly Joker was used until the “Tally-Ho” Joker was introduced in the early 1900s. The brand has seen only minor variations over the years.