The World of Playing Cards Logo

Early French Deck mid 1800's or earlier?

I have a set of playing cards that my grandfather had but I don't know where they came from and they appeaer to be much older than he was (born 1890). He was in WWI and did go to Europe so I suppose he could have picked them up then but I think they are older and would really appreciate any insight on their possible age and provenance. There are no designs on the back and the aces are not labeled as such, simply one of the symbols. The face cards are all named - the kings are Caesar, Charles, David and Alexander. Queens are Judith, Argine, Rachel and Pallas. Jacks are Hektor, Roger, Lancelot and Lehire. Someone has written in pencil on all the numbers in the corners what their denomination is. There are 52 cards so the deck is complete but there are no other cards like an identifying maker or jokers.

They were with things of my grandfathers and I'm guessing he may have brought them back from Europe during WWI. In looking at your site I'm guessing maybe they are French and 1850's or earlier? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very curious about them.

Thank you for your help!

Karen Taylor

1 comments

Roddy Somerville's Avatar'

These cards are most unlikely to be French since, on French cards, Alexander would be Alexandre and Hektor would be Hector. Also, the smudge on the Ace of Spades looks like the remains of an old tax stamp which would not have been on this card in a French pack. It might help to know the exact size of the cards. At first sight I would say that they could be Swedish or Portuguese but there is no firm evidence for either of these attributions. They most likely date from the third quarter of the 19th century.

Leave a Reply