The Rider Waite Tarot was created at the beginning of the 20th century by Arthur Edward Waite and Pamela Colman Smith which would transform the concept of tarot decks. Both Waite and Colman Smith were members of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, a magical and occult society that existed at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. When Waite decided to make his own revised version of the tarot, with rectified symbolism, he commissioned Pamela Colman Smith to make the designs.
The deck was first published by William Rider & Sons Limited, 164 Aldergate Street, London E.C. in December 1909. The accompanying book by Waite was called “The Key to the Tarot”. This book explained the meaning of the cards. Later an illustrated book “The Pictorial Key to the Tarot” was published, using the line drawings of the Rider Waite Tarot. The Rider Waite Tarot is different from the tarots published before in the fact that it is the first tarot with illustrated minors. The imagery on two of the major cards deviates from the standard tarot images (The Lovers and The Sun) and the sequence of the majors has been altered from the standard Marseille pattern by switching Justice and Strength.
The Waite-Smith tarot grew out of the late Victorian era with its interest in esoteric and occult matters. Waite had been involved in the Order of the Golden Dawn since 1891 which became a major part of his life and work. Pamela Colman Smith drew inspiration for the minors from the Sola-Busca Tarot, as well as the paintings of John William Waterhouse (1849-1917). Her own art style is heavily influenced by the Japanese art of that time. Another art feature that is clearly visible in the cards is her experience as a theatre designer. Neither of the authors would ever know that their tarot pack would completely change the concept of tarot.
The Rider Waite Tarot was printed by chromolithography. The original plates were destroyed in World War II. So far, none of the original artwork has ever been found.
The First Edition, 1909
The first edition of the Rider Waite Tarot was issued from December 1909 till April 1910 with a ‘Roses & Lilies’ back design. It was sold in a maroon two-piece cardboard box accompanied by the book “The Key to the Tarot” by Arthur E. Waite published by William Rider & Son Ltd, London. There are 5 known copies of this version. The reason for the short time of publication was that there were problems with the cardstock, so it was replaced by a newer cardstock. William Rider & Son even offered customers a free upgrade to the second edition►
There are 5 early versions known of the Rider Waite tarot. These packs date from 1909 till approx 1940
Member since February 01, 1996View Articles
Curator and editor of the World of Playing Cards since 1996. He is a former committee member of the IPCS and was graphics editor of The Playing-Card journal for many years. He has lived at various times in Chile, England and Wales and is currently living in Extremadura, Spain. Simon's first limited edition pack of playing cards was a replica of a seventeenth century traditional English pack, which he produced from woodblocks and stencils.
Cards made by John Waddington Ltd. for the Madras Club, Chennai (formerly Madras), India, c.1930.
54 different personalities from the city of Inverness published by the Highland Hospice.
Edinburgh Festival Fringe programme covers from 1956 to 2016 published by Winning Moves UK Ltd.
Images from the Ministry of Defence Cape Wrath Training Centre, Sutherland, Scotland. Published 2010.
Tarot game pack with fantasy sci-fi artwork on the trumps published by Pocket SF, France.
Celebrating the work of Andreas Vesalius in the quincentenary year of his birth.
Great Britains’s Olympic gold medallists from 1964 to 2004 published by the British Olympic Association.
Celebration of the work of David Kindersley, stone letter-carver and typeface designer. Published by the Cardozo Kindersley Workshop, Cambridge, UK, 2015.
Pack celebrating the rugby world champions of 2003. Produced by MMcardz.
“Royal Cards Reign of Queen Anne” cover historical events, both honourable and treacherous, during the period 1702 to 1704.
Hall & Son
Comic Fortune-Telling Cards published by Reynolds & Sons, c.1850.
Comic Question & Answer cards by Josh. Reynolds & Sons, circa 1850.
Myriorama of Italian scenery, 1824.
Hand-drawn Transformation cards, c.1870.
PLAYING CARDS: A Secret History
Sergeant-Major card game devised by W.G.Smith
We are deeply saddened by news of the passing of Anthony Rex Pitts (1940-2021).
The Story of Pepys Games by Rex Pitts
Jacob Wolfe Spear founded his company manufacturing fancy goods in 1879 near Nuremberg in Bavaria, Germany
Chad Valley Co. Ltd (incorporating Johnson Brothers (Harborne) Ltd, the long-established UK brand bought by Woolworths in 1988 and now sold at Argos.
Multum in Parvo published a range of indoor games during the period from 1884-1927.
The founder of Ariel Productions, Philip Marx, was a prolific publisher of children’s books and comics towards the end of and just after the Second World War.
Kum-Bak Sports, Toys & Games MFG Co., Ltd, London S.E.11
Crazy People children’s card game illustrated by caricaturist and graphic artist Walter Trier, c.1950.
Panko (Votes for Women) suffragette card game published by Peter Gurney Ltd, c.1912.
Anonymous Snap game, 1930s.
Panto People published by E. S. & A. Robinson, c.1930s.
Hats-Off! miniature card game published by E. S. & A. Robinson, c.1930s.
Zoo-Boots published by E. S. & A. Robinson, c.1930s.
The XIXth Century published by John Jaques & Son, c.1875.
The ‘Rinker’ highly amusing snap game, c.1910.
Round the World Happy Families by Chiefton Products Ltd of Bristol, c.1950s.
Abbatt Toys Animal Families, c.1970.
French for Fun instructive card game published by John Jaques & Son Ltd., c.1930s
Counties of Britain by John Jaques & Son Ltd. c.1930.
Radio Banker by John Waddington Ltd for Marconiphone Co Ltd.
Jigstar film star card game by Murphy Games Ltd, 1936.
“Countries of Empire” published by John Jaques & Son Ltd, c.1930s.
Gas Warm Homes Happy Families game published by British Gas, c.1980.