Chur Ober-Pfälzische Französisch Karten by Joseph Losch, Amberg, c.1800
A French-suited pack with full-length courts derived from the French Paris pattern, like the Bavarian cards of Göbl who first produced this type of cards about 1750, but with contemporary costume and imperial symbolism, manufactured in Amberg (Bavaria) by Joseph Losch.
Finely engraved on copper plates, hand-coloured with brush and stencils.
"Chur Ober-Pfälzische": The "Chur Pfalz" was a part of the Holy Roman Empire divided into "Ober-Pfalz" (Upper Pfalz) and Unter-Pfalz (Under Pfalz). Amberg, where Losch produced the cards, is a town located in the Ober-Pfalz.
Above: Chur Ober-Pfälzische Französisch. Karten by Joseph Losch, Amberg, c.1800, copper engraved, stencil coloured, 52 cards