“Cossack” playing cards, with artwork by O. Panchenko dedicated to the revival of the traditions of the Cossacks. Printed by the Colour Printing Plant, St Petersburg, 1994.
“Maya” playing cards designed by Russian artist V. M. Sveshnikov and first published by The Colour Printing Plant, St Petersburg, in 1975.
In the style of religious icon paintings, these court card figures wear costumes reminiscent of the mid-17th century.
Russian “Historical extra fine No.204” Playing Cards depicting Ancient Dynasties, 1920s.
“Seasons” playing cards designed by U. P. Ivanov and published by The Colour Printing Plant in St Petersburg.
Russian Opera & Theatre Scenes playing cards first published by the Colour Printing Plant (USSR, Russian Federation) in 1974
The Russian Playing Card Monopoly was established in March 1798 with all revenue going to support the St Petersburg Foundling Hospital. After the construction of the Foundling Hospital's own factory in 1817 (known as the Imperial Playing Card Factory), all subsequent Russian playing card production was located there until the end of the State monopoly in 1961.
Playing cards were known in Muscovy as early as the last quarter of the sixteenth century.
Originally published as “Slavonic Cards No.501” by The Colour Printing Plant, St. Petersburg in 1928.
A deck designed by Victor M. Sveshnikov dedicated to the Neva river and the city of Saint Petersburg.