Originally known as Cappellano Hnos in the 1920s, over the years the company underwent several changes of name and address.
Brief History of Alf Cooke's Playing Cards
Agreement had been reached between Waddington's and De La Rue during the second world war for Waddington's to manufacture playing cards for De la Rue. Thus the Amalgamated Playing Card Company was born but it remained an unofficial name for many years.
The American Bank Note Company was a long-established firm producing national currency, finely engraved stock certificates and other security printing, including postage stamps. Like others before them they entered the playing card market, but only to pull out again after a short time, c.1908-1914.
Anonymous Mexican Playing Card Manufacturers
List of Argentinian Playing Card Manufacturers from the 19th and 20th centuries.
The founder of Ariel Productions, Philip Marx, was a prolific publisher of children’s books and comics towards the end of and just after the Second World War.
Astra Games was a subsidiary of the McCorquodale Group of Companies, producing standard advertising playing cards and cards for casino use during the period 1982-87.
The 'Old Frizzle' Ace of Spades shows the duty paid as one shilling, and the manufacturer's name is engraved at the bottom of the ace.
Naipes Tipo Español 'El Vencedor', Bedaumine Hnos, Bs Aires
The company was founded in 1908 as the printing division of the Brooke Bond Tea Company in Reading. Much of their work was for the parent company, in particular tea packets, and in the 1920s litho printing machinery was introduced. In 1932 the company moved to new premises and the occasion was marked by the production of their first pack of playing cards, the backs of which featured a picture of the new factory.
The style of these cards is descended from the earlier seventeenth century cards of makers such as Hewson
Brotherton is recorded as operating at 13 Little Britain (London) from 1789-1840. In 1851 his factory was burnt down.
C. Della Penna S.A. playing card manufacturer and publisher, Buenos Aires, c.1930-1978
C.L.Keiblinger, Copenhagen 1852-85
Compañía General de Fósforos Montevideana, founded in 1893.
Playing Cards by Compañia General de Fósforos, Bs. As. (founded 1888)
Card Fabrique Company had connections with several other manufacturers and their complete history is yet to be unravelled.
Charles Hodges produced engraved geographical and astronomical decks, London, c.1827-30
Today nothing remains of Charles Goodall's Camden Works, where three-quarters of the playing cards printed in Britain were produced.
Chitrashala Press produced some charming children's pictorial alphabet cards for early learning purposes in the 1940s.
The C.W.S. Printing Works at Longsight, Manchester, was the Co-operative Wholesale Society's printing division, set up to print labels and packaging for their range of products.
Daveluy produced card games between c.1840 and 1890. Many of his playing cards have historical connotations and show figures with a landscape background.
De La Rue introduced letter-press printing into playing card production and his patent was granted in 1831. He produced his first playing cards in 1832.
Denbro (Denny Brothers) c.1975-79
Difusora S.A is a distributor of smokers' materials. Around 1970-80 they also distributed "Minifusor" playing cards.
The luxury playing card factory founded in Frankfurt am Main by Bernhard Dondorf in 1833 existed for 100 years and was a particularly attractive chapter in playing card history.
Playing cards published by E. A. Chemmes, Buenos Aires during the early 1950s. The cards were probably printed by Ernesto Flaiban.
E. P. Franco, Naipes 'El Brujo', c.1953
Cards from std English pattern printed by The Eagle Playing Card Company Limited, Czechoslovakia, c.1900. The cards are in imitation of American cards, but probably for the UK market.
Philibert published an outstanding series of exotic, artistic playing cards in Paris from 1954 to 1960, including: St Hubert Bridge, Can-Can, Le Florentin and Mémoires de Casanova.
Editorial Gráfica Flores S.A. were manufacturers of playing cards and card games around c.1970-90.
Ernesto Flaiban, Buenos Aires, 1942-1970
Finely engraved deck by F. d'Alphonse Arnoult (Paris), c.1860. 52 cards.
In 1860 the Fournier Brothers of Burgos (Spain) commenced producing playing cards. They produced high quality playing cards bearing a portrait of King Charles IV on the ace of coins.
Francisco Girbau & Cia, Buenos Aires, c.1890-1935
Berger also produced a Hungarian-type "Seasons" pack with the brand name "La Estrella" and a six-pointed star logo, which was subsequently used by Domicelj and Vigor, suggesting some sort of business succession.
Playing cards believed to have been designed in 1815 by the Chilean immigrant Manuel José Gandarillas in Buenos Aires and published the following year.
Gibson originally took over the business of Blanchard in 1769. Gibson & Hunt operated briefly (1801-1803) and were followed successively by Hunt & Son (1804-1821), Hunt & Sons (1821-1840), Hall (& Son), Hall & Bancks and finally Bancks Brothers (1841-89).
Gráfica 2001, successors to Naipes Vigor (Naipes ‘La Española’), founded in 1945.
Grupo Editorial RAF S.A. de C.V. (founded 1962) has branches throughout Mexico.